Coppergrass Bistro chef shows us how to prepare the soup
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ c fennel diced
- ¼ c onion diced
- ¼ c leek white part only diced
- 1 garlic clove sliced
- 2 T Butter
- 2T Sambuca or other anisette liquer
- 4 c Vegetable Stock
- ½ vanilla bean scraped (optional)
- 1t cardomon (optional)
- 4 leaves Basil
- 4 sprigs Tarragon
- Fennel Frods
- Salt and White Pepper
- A Squeeze of Lemon Juice
1. Melt the butter over medium low heat in a 4 qt. soup pot.
2. Add the fennel, onion, leek and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes. They should be completely soft and without color.
3. Add the sambuca.
4. Cook one minute, then add the vegetable stock, and if using, the vanilla and cardomon. Bring the liquid to a boil.
5. Add the asparagus, basil, tarragon, and fennel tops. Boil 4 minutes. The asparagus and herbs should be bright green.
6. Transfer the soup to the blender; and add the squeeze of lemon juice.
7. Blend the soup, starting on low and gradually increasing the speed to high, until smooth. It is very important to be cautious when blending hot things, as there is the chance of injury or a mess if one is not careful.
8. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
9. Serve immediately or chill quickly over an ice bath and use within three days. The soup will hold in the freezer for one month.